I bought a G4 iMac 20" from Free Geek in Portland . . . long enough
time ago that my free tech help is gone.

Ubuntu is nice, seems easier to use than Windows, to me. But I need a
Mac OS on it. Soon. And so far, no luck. The Ubuntu seems to have
disabled the optical drive!

The upshot, so far, is that I can't get the Ubuntu to even recognize a
CD or DVD. I've been thinking of buying an external Firewire drive and
trying to install from that, but I'm dubious.

I don't have the foggiest idea how to install Mac OS over Ubuntu on
this Mac, especially if I cannot get a CD/DVD to boot up.

I thought of taking out the hard drive, placing it in a G4
Quicksilver, and installing it on that. But I'm not sure that would
work.

Can one install a system over a network? Please advise. I'm stuck in
Ubuntu and I want to get out!

twv