Dennis,

> My sister has asked me to wipe out everything on the hard drive and reinstall
> Mac OS 9.2.2 plus Mac OS 10.4.11. Since it has been YEARS that I've done any
> OS 9 installs I have a few questions.
>
> 2. I plan on erasing the hard drive and have it "zeroed". Since I know it
> will boot up into FireWire Target Disk Mode, I was planning on erasing the
> drive that way. Any problems doing it so?

Nope, no problems. I do this all the time. Depending on the size of the HD,
zeroing could take a while...

> 3. Since I have a 9.2.2 install CD, I will boot from it to install Mac OS
> 9.2.2. However, how should I go about installing Mac OS 10.4? Boot from the
> DVD, or just do the install while the iMac is running on 9.2.2? I've never
> installed both OS 9.x and OS 10.x from scratch before.

I don't think that the 10.4 installer will run in OS9. Best to boot from the
DVD. If you're going to use OS9 in Classic mode, it would probably be better to
install OSX first.

> 4. Since I don't have any way to connect this old iMac to the Internet, is
> there any other way to run the Software Updaters for OS 9 & OS 10? Perhaps by
> connecting it with an Ethernet cable to my PowerBook and sharing it's
> Internet connection?

That'll work. I do that all the time. On your Powerbook, just go into the
"Sharing" preferences, and turn on Internet sharing from Airport to Ethernet.
Make sure that both computers are set to DHCP. Be sure to turn it off when
your'e done, because it can cause networking problems. This works OK sharing
internet to OS9, but it's harder to get OS9 to connect up to the internet while
doing this.

> Any other advice would be welcome.

If you can, max out the RAM. It'll run so much better, and your sister will
never regret it. Especially if you're going to be running OS9 in Classic mode.

Elliott