PDFs can be created directly out of programs like Adobe Illustrator. I use QuarkXPress as my page layout software, not Illustrator. I always use Adobe Acrobat Professional to create PDFs, taking the long way around (first saving as a Postscript file via Quark, then going through Acrobat Distiller. Professionals don't use Microsoft word for layout, btw. It's unreliable and very limited.