On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Ashgrove <salum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was lucky enough to score a 24" VH242H Asus display to use as an
> external with my Core 2 Duo 2Ghz iMac. The monitor has DVI, VGA, and
> HDMI input. I'm afraid I am going to sound like a total idiot, but
> could anybody kindly explain to me which connection would give me the
> best quality image, and why?
>
> Right now, I am using it with DVI with its 1920x1080 native
> resolution. It is 1080p capable, and a beauty.

This made me curious so I looked these up on WikiP.

It appears that a dual DVI connection will support a bigger display of
2560x1600.

However the HDMI has a wider bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps and 340 MHz. The DVI
signal is shown as 3.96 Mbps or 7.92 Mbps ith a dual connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

For your purpose either should do well. Perhaps high speed video cards for
gamers would use the HDMI  bandwidth to advantage.

It might take an electrical engineer to wade through all of the signaling
options and feedback circuitry available with either and to explain their
use and advantages for various display purposes.

--
Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

fluxstrin...@gmail.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fluxstreamcommunication/