I've just joined this group as a long term subscriber to the G3-5
list, since I've got an issue with a Late 2006 20" iMac (iMac5,1)
which I've been tearing my hair out over for the past few days and I
thought I'd throw it to the hive mind after trying every form of
disassembly, reassembly, re-thermal-pasting and thermal sensor re-
attachment you can imagine...

The machine works fine, but all three fans have gone insane and run at
(nearly, but not quite) full speed - around 3800 RPM. All the thermal
sensors are giving good, within range readings according to iStat. The
last step I tried was AHT, after finding and downloading the correct
(3A111) version, which gives me a '4SNS/1/40000000:VGOC' error. I know
4SNS is a sensor error, but I've no idea what the rest of that string
means since nobody else on the interwebs seems to have suffered a VGOC
error. Resetting the SMC gives a brief respite but within a few
minutes of bootup, they've sped back up starting with the HDD bay fan
if I follow the speeds of all three.

Now I think I've tried pretty much every avenue including the old
'take it apart and put it back together' (I even replaced the thermal
compound under all three heatsinks as it looked like a pretty sloppy
job) so it may just be a lost cause that needs a new motherboard (and
I'd question the economics of that on a 4 year old machine.) Having
said that, I thought it was worth asking in case there's anything
obvious I've missed, or anybody is able to shed more light on the code
AHT is throwing.

Another thing I was wondering is whether it's possible to force an EFI
Firmware reflash by any means - holding the power button as documented
on Apple's website results in a normal boot after a fast flash of the
sleep LED and shrill beep - I'm assuming this procedure only works if
the firmware is corrupted in the first place... Not that I really
think it'll help, but I've got to the point where I'll try anything
because its unusably noisy at the moment!

Cheers
Jason