On Sep 15, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Jasiu wrote:

> i have a 17" g5 iMac which worked fine til this morning. It shut
> itself down and when I went to restart I got a reassuring BONG and the
> blue background of the desktop popped up sans icons. Mouse doesn't
> work
>
> Ran Applejack from Open Firmware and it said something about incorrect
> number of thread records, invalid volume file count. It also says that
> there is a missing directory record and Applejack was not able to fix
> the disc.
>
> Any idea of what to do?

Sounds as if you've got either a hard drive problem or a directory problem, or
most likely the latter caused by the former.

I would boot from the OS X install disk and run Disk Utility>First Aid>Repair
Disk until it has fixed everything or until it says it can't fix it.

If Repair Disk fixes everything, then your machine should boot from the hard
drive. If it doesn't, then beg, borrow or buy a copy of DiskWarrior that's
appropriate for your version of OS X. DiskWarrior is absolutely superb at
fixing the type of problems you report.

If DiskWarrior doesn't fix the problem, then you very likely have a failing
hard drive, a not uncommon problem.

Jim Scott