If this is your every day Mac, you should definitely upgrade, but
installing a new hard drive may not the most cost-effective choice.

Hard drives wear out. Most come with only 3-year warranties, and while
some last for much longer, I would guess that more than half of the
drives manufactured 10 years ago are dead by now.

In short, regardless of whether you need more storage space, your hard
drive is living on borrowed time. Replace it before you lose
everything. (Of course, if you back up to another drive regularly...)

You are probably subject to the 128GB limit, so while you CAN install
a larger drive, you will only be able to use the first 120 Gb of it.
Remember when you go shopping that you need the older PATA/IDE/ATA
interface instead of the newer and now more common SATA.  Best to
check a site like OWC [http://eshop.macsales.com/] who will suggest
exact replacements that they guarantee will work for you.

Unfortunately, even the cheapest available new drives will probably
cost more than a G3 iMac is worth. The best strategy may be to BUY AN
EXTERNAL BACKUP DRIVE AND USE IT. Then continue using your iMac until
it dies a natural death, give it to the recyclers, buy the cheapest
working G3/G4 you can find locally, and restore your backup to it.

p.s. You are limited to 128 GB only for an internal drive. You can use
any size external drive.