On Nov 3, 2011, at 11:53 PM, a1 wrote:

> So what are the standard steps for this situation. iMac was on, I came
> back in the room and the screen was utterly black. Rest of computer
> seems to respond i.e boots, cd drawer opens, even seems to go into
> sleep mode and wake. But no video. Hope this isn't fatal since its my
> fave mac!

If you shine a bright light onto the screen while the iMac is running, do you
see faint video images? If the answer is yes, then you most likely have a bad
inverter, which is inside the LCD case. If the answer is no, then either the
LCD died (unlikely) or there are one or more broken wires inside the neck
(likely and not uncommon). It's also possible the LVDS cable came loose from
its connector on the logic board, but that's highly unlikely unless the iMac
has been opened up recently. You also could have a combination of bad inverter
and broken/shorted wires inside the neck.

If you get video on an external monitor, then you know the video chip's OK. If
not, then you're looking at a loose video chip which means logic board
replacement.

HTH,

Jim Scott