Hi there: My son came home from college last night, and almost immediately
told me that the router (basic Netgear wireless) is giving off a
high-pitched whine or squeal or whistle or something, which he had not
heard before. Neither my wife nor I can hear it so I have to take this on
faith. They both have complained of pretty frequent and significant
Internet slowness, too.

   1. Are these two things--noise and speed--related?
   2. Is the whine a symptom of something more problematic?
   3. Assuming it's much more cost-effective to buy another router than try
   to have this one fixed, what's the conventional wisdom nowadays for brands
   and capabilities? (I don't feel the need to spend boatloads of
   (non-existent) cash so something under maybe $30 would be fine, I think...)

As always my thanks in advance!

Bill Spencer in Maryland

IMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz/2 g RAM/Lion
IMac Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz/2 g RAM/Lion