My imac core duo 2ghz 20-inch has some sort of video and/or overheating problem
wherein as the machine heats up i get random lines, artifacts, and finally the
system shuts down or reboots itself. Sitting just in front of a window ac unit
over the summer helped some, but still didn't solve the issue. The more i
multitask the quicker the problem advances. Apparently this is a common problem
for the model as several offered on ebay noted similar issues. I downloaded smc
fan control that supposedly changes my fan speeds and, some say, helps the
issue. I have upped them twice so far. The problem seems less severe, but still
very annoying. I am wondering how fast i can set the speeds without worrying
about potential damage?

My original speeds were:
optical drive 798 rpm
hd 1399 rpm