On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:51:29 AM UTC-5, Dan wrote:

> ...To be honest, farking inside an iMac is such a
> PITA, I've often told people to just boot/live off a chain of
> external firewire drives and let the internal spin down.

This makes good sense to me. So to be certain I'm following you, a bootable
external drive:

   - Requires a Firewire connection, not USB (will FW 400 work? I don't
   think the machine does 800.)
   - Requires being formatted a certain way (which I saw in the Help files
   last night but I forget right now what the acronym is)

Right? Anything else for this part? Next,

>    1. CCC to your an external.
>    2. Boot on the external - to make sure its fully functional.
>
> I take it I'd zero the internal at this point, and somehow set things up
so the machine boots automatically from the external. Will this happen
automatically if the internal has been zeroed, or do I need to do something
specific to boot from the external automatically?

These next steps from Dan are now moot if I'm booting from the external
(except #3):

>    1. Do yer HD replacement.
>    2. Boot on the external.
>    3. Use Disk Utility to zero and initialize your new internal.
>    4. CCC into the new internal.
>
> What about the following:

   - Does CCC take all partitions of the internal and put them on the
   external or do I need to do that some other way? Unfortunately, I have to
   retain Tiger for the time being for one app that's too old for Lion, so I
   have a very small partition for that.
   - I plan to set up Time Machine on another external drive...will this
   setup be OK for that? (And by the way, does Time Machine do OK going onto a
   USB external or not?)

Again, many thanks! Bill