On Jan 12, 2012, at 5:50 AM, PaulBX wrote:

> I've just bought an iMac G3 350Mhz from eBay. I wanted a cheap
> introduction to the world of the Mac and tt seemed that all other Macs
> were a lot more expensive. At the moment it's got only 192Mb RAM, a
> 7Gb hard drive, and a CD-ROM drive. The installed OS is version 9. I
> know from watching a video on YouTube that I can upgrade it to 1Gb
> RAM, 128Gb hard drive, DVD-ROM drive and OS X 10.3.

If it has FireWire you can install OX X.4 directly.  Without FW you need to use
XPostFacto.  Either way you'll likely need a DVD-ROM drive as Tiger on CD-ROM
is rare.

> At the moment I can't connect to my Virgin Media WiFi network, so I
> thought I'd ask here for some advice. It seems there are three
> possible ways.
>
> 1. Connect an Ethernet cable to my Netgear WiFi router

Simple and a good start just to get things running.

> 2. Fit an "Airport" card which may or may not need an adapter or
> caddy

It will need an adapter.

> 3. Plug in a USB WiFi adapter available on eBay, which would also
> require a USB hub, or some other USB adapter, because I'm already
> using both the USB ports for keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately, I've
> already done a test with my ZTE 3G USB modem, which comes with Mac
> installation software stored on it, but this software doesn't run
> under Mac OS 9 and it doesn't detect the USB modem at all.

Mac keyboards include a 2 port hub in them, typically used for the mouse.

I think OS 9 System Profiler will show you what is attached to USB ports.

All of the USB WiFi adapters I've used or heard of have rather poor software.
They work but are cumbersome and cryptic.

You can also go with a WiFi to wired Ethernet bridge device.

> Any advice would be appreciated. The iMac was delivered with lots of
> software installed on the hard drive, so I don't want to delete this
> when I upgrade to OS X. Can you tell me how to avoid deleting it, or
> perhaps I can install an additional hard drive, while keeping the old
> hard drive in place.

There is no room for an additional hard drive inside.    You could move the
original drive to an external case.  FireWire if you can.  You can use USB but
it will be SLOW.

You can install OS X on top of any existing OS and applications, provided there
is room.  You'll need around 2Gb free, 1Gb for the install and 1 Gb for Virtual
Memory and headroom.