At 7:29 PM -0800 1/16/2012, Bill Spencer wrote:
On Monday, January 16, 2012 6:26:00 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:
In general, there be only normal and super(root).  The latter can do
anything, of course.
But if you're just looking to limit file access, then you can do
things with group IDs or even with access control lists...

The hope is to be able to keep parental controls in place but allow software-update-type actions.

Parental Controls can only be activated on a normal user account.

If you don't provide the admin id and password, and the user is too stoopid to boot into single-user mode, or from an external, or .... then they won't be updating anything.

OTOH,,, why the need for the restrictions? ...I've never been fond of strapping any user down. Nothing good ever comes from it, IMO. Too often, I've had to deal with the carnage of upset parents, when they discovered that their children had the gall to first learn how to read english, then to use *gasp* Google, and then hack their way around the parental controls, nanny products, etc etc etc. There's just no substitutes for building trust and sharing ice cream sandwiches.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.