On Apr 10, 2012, at 7:08 PM, Dan wrote:

> 4.  Right now, the primary vectors for OS X-targetting malware are Flash,
> Java, and MS Office.  So glove up and pay attention.  Crush Flash.

And give up things like browsing the 1940 Census records, the ones that were
just released? and a host of other useful and fun tools on the web. Much better
to use Click to Flash to just turn off the blinky blinky ads, which are the
vectors for most drive-by infections.

>  Kill Java.

In your browser, unless, of course, you're dependent on a particular web
application. Were I to "Kill Java" I would suddenly find myself without vital
tools for my job, namely DBVisualizer (only one of the very best multi-platform
database management tools in existence) and a handful of others, like ImageJ,
the descendant of the venerable NIH Image for the Mac, the best photometric and
graphimetric tool in existence for the Mac.

A blanket admonition to "Kill Java" is not a good one.

> Destroy MS Office.

That's MUCH easier said, than done.

> Then date the sexy robot.

Eww, tmi, I think?:-)

Dan left off a very important one:

When some random website tells you to update something like Flash or Quicktime,
etc, they may be absolutely correct and you need a newer version of the
software, but don't just accept their download, go to the source and get it
yourself. If the site STILL tells you need a newer version of Flash they're
either trying to infect you or they're incompetently programmed.  (BBC I'm
looking at YOU!)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona