On Apr 19, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Beverly Woods wrote:

>> Your Inbox, Sent, and Trash mailboxes are not on your computer.  Any
>> messages in those mailboxes are in your Internet Service Provider's
>> storage facility.  If you haven't deleted your mail messages from
>> your ISP, or have not copied them to your own computer ("On My Mac"),
>> then some or all of them should still be on your ISP's storage
>> facility.
>>
> I don't think Melvyn is necessarily correct about this. In my setup for
> instance, those
> Inbox, Sent, and Trash mailboxes are in fact on my computer.

They are, even in IMAP setups. The difference with POP mail is that (usually)
the ONLY mail store is your computer.

With IMAP the primary mail store is the server. Copies live on your computer
for searching and offline use, but if, for example, you log on to the web
client and delete some mails from your inbox, the next time you start your Mail
client and connect to the server, they'll be deleted from the local cache as
well.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD