Go and download the guides from iFixit they are great and if followed
should prevent any problems with disassembly and reassembly. The do a
google search on the web for "bad capacitors" there is a site I don't
remember the name or url but this site tells you how to open the power
supply so you can replace the Caps. Be advised I'm not sure about the power
supply circuit board but the computer mother board is multilayer so you
need to know how to solder to a multilayer circuit board. There is also a
site (www.badcaps.net) who can do this work for you. It may be worth you
while to check it out. I had him do 2 motherboards for G5 iMacs the result
was great and both iMacs survived the operation with no problems
 Wayne

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Charliefrown <charliefrown...@gmail.com>wrote:

> hello, need to replace those nasty capacitors in my power supply
> module (it only runs fine in "reduced cpu" mode). Instead of shipping
> the entire computer to the nearest Mac shop I thought about taking
> only my power supply module to the local PC/console repair shop. I
> know there's tear down guide on iFixit site, but maybe someone could
> give me some tips on that. Particularly I would like to avoid getting
> "white stripes" on screen, people reported having after disassemling
> this iMac.
>
> BTW I am not new to fiddling with computers, I do iBook reballing on
> regular basis :)

Wayne Getchel