Removing trash can be done using Onyx (free) for the OS X version you have on
your computer.  Onyx will remove any trash you might have in your Trash Folder.

John Brownsberger, Completely Retired Minister from  UCC

To: imaclist@googlegroups.com
From: imaclist@googlegroups.com
Subject: Digest for imaclist@googlegroups.com - 10 Messages in 3 Topics
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:16:48 +0000

  Today's Topic Summary
Group: http://groups.google.com/group/imaclist/topics
Moving to WordPress [5 Updates]
iMac G4 "eyeball" speakers [3 Updates]
Mac Mini Problem [2 Updates]
 Moving to WordPress

The basics:
Mac Mini, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM.

The problem:
I cannot make the trash empty.

I have tried everything under the sun, as far as I know, trying to get the trash
to empty. Unlocked any folders/files, re-booted numerous times (both regular
and Safe Boot), ran Disk Utilities (fixed permissions), and still no success.

I keep getting the pop-up asking to remove unlocked files and/or all files,
which neither brings a smile to my face. It seems to start emptying, but then
quits within a few seconds.

Oh mighty Gurus, I beg you for a fix for this problem. I like to keep a lean,
clean
machine, and this problem is stepping on my reputation as a delete-happy IT
manager in my home.
Any suggestions/help/advice/questions would be most welcome please.

Thank you.
Bill

Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> Mar 12 11:37AM -0700

> I have tried everything under the sun, as far as I know, trying to get the
> trash
> to empty. Unlocked any folders/files, re-booted numerous times (both regular
> and Safe Boot), ran Disk Utilities (fixed permissions), and still no success.

two things to try:

1: GUI way: hold down the option key while selecting 'Empty Trash'to force
emptying the trash in the Finder,
2: Geeky way: start up a terminal window and enter

rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

EXACTLY. rm -rf is like nitroglycerin…useful for cracking safes, but you can
also occasionally blow yourself to kingdom come; or in the case of rm -rf
delete everything in your user directory or on the entire disk.

True story: one of my co-workers once typed ( as root, on a production unix
systme, iirc it was an old SGI box) rm -rf / where he meant to type rm -rf ./

Subtle, but the difference between deleting the current directory's contents
and deleting the file system.

This was in the ye olde days of slow disks and slow systems, he was actually
able to stop the command without nuking the user directories. The OS was hosed,
but he managed to manually rebuild it to the point where he could sucessfully
reboot the system and restore the whole thing.

3: when nothing else will work (I've had to do this for one user several times
on her Macbook; we've never been able to figure how her Trash keeps getting
wedged like this) you can remove the trash directory entirely, and recreate it.

<http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html#Anchor-Empty-49575>
<http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20061216221914302>
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10410978-263.html>

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

imaclist.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---