I have an iMac G5 that has a couple strange problems.  The problem has been
happening ever since I got it from my company about 3 years ago.  While it
was at the office, I know it had been taken into the shop a number of times
for some work (don't know exact what the issue was).  I do know that they
replaced the motherboard and the hard drive.  All that said, here's the
issue...  If I let it sit idle, the screensaver will kick in and work
fine.  Eventually, the screen will go black and the system will go to
sleep.  I can see the power light slowly pulsing.  Everything is fine.
When I return to the computer, I press the Shift key to wake up the
system.  It responds by making some 'hey I'm waking up noises' (e.g. hard
drive spinning up, perhaps) and the power light stops pulsing.  This is
where it all goes south.  The screen never returns.  It stays black.  Then,
the grand finale...  The system fan kicks into very high gear.  The system
will stay in this state until I press and hold the power button to turn it
off.  It's a bit of an inconvenience when this happens, but it's not a
show-stopper.  Or is it?  This is what happens next.  I press the power
button to turn the system back on.  It goes through it little screen
flashes and wipes and eventually the Apple logo appears.  IF the little
spinny thing appears under the logo, all is good and the system will boot
normally.  If it doesn't appear, the next float in this parade is a kernel
panic error screen.  If I turn it off and back on, it'll probably do it
again.  If I turn it off and let it sit for at least 15 minutes, it'll
probably work normally.

Every once in a while, I get the kernel panic screen out of the blue.
YouTube and Craigslist seem to give it fits for some reason.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lonnie.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.