On Jun 3, 2014, at 7:59 AM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2014, at 12:11 PM, pmgraph1...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am new to the group. I was given an Apple iMac G4 15" 700 Mhz #2. Mac
>> OS X, but not sure of version. I don't know the log in so I can't access
>> anything. Need to know how to change admin log in and password without
>> system discs. Is it possible?
>> Thanks in advance for advice.
>

> Hold down the 'S' key while booting, which brings you into single user mode,
> as root. It will be a strictly command line interface.
>
> enter, *exactly*, every slash, space and dot just as it is, the following
> three lines, hitting the return key after each one:
>
> mount -uw /
> rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
> reboot
>
> What this does is reset the Mac to think that there are no accounts, and when
> it reboots,  you will be prompted to create a new administrative account to
> log in, as if it were brand new.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson

If anyone has tried this and it didn't work because you couldn't get to the
command line/root prompt, it's because Bruce forgot one little but very
important instruction:

To get into single user mode, start the Mac, then right after the chime, hold
down the 'Command' key adjacent to the space bar and the 'S' key. That will
result in a black screen with white text. Then very carefully input the three
lines of text exactly as Bruce has shown above.

Jim Scott
Eureka, CA

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.