> On Dec 30, 2014, at 6:26 AM, Steven Van Impe <steven.vani...@icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
> I recently purchased an iMac G3 (http://lowendmac.com/1999/imac-rev-d/) in
> really good shape. It came with the original installation/recovery discs but
> they are in Dutch, and are for Mac OS 8.5.1. The discs still works fine, but
> I'd like to install an English version of 8.6 instead. I have an ISO image of
> the installation CDs for this exact model (8.6 and in English), but I am
> finding it impossible to burn them to a CD.
>
> I have tried:
>
> * Disc Utility on OS X 10.10.2. This was my obvious first choice.
> * Toast 5 Titanium on OS X 10.1 (on my Power Mac G4). I used this version
> because it has a "Mac Volume" option, as well as a "Bootable" checkbox.
> * Different brands CD-Rs.
> * Different ISO images (8.6 Retail, iMac Install, iMac Recovery).
> * Burning at low speeds (between 1x and 4x).
>
> But none of them are readable on the iMac. The iMac tried to read the disc
> but tells me it cannot read it and asks me to initialize it. Sometimes the
> disc does show up on the desktop, and I can read it (slowly), but it cannot
> boot from it. The disc is readable on my iBook (original clamshell running
> 9.1) although I cannot boot from it there as well.
> Any help?

This points to possible issues with the drive on the G3. The LEM profile says
it's a 24x CD-ROM. Back in the day many CD-ROM drives had issues reading CD-R
or CD-RW disks. Try cleaning it?

Perhaps you can install the Dutch version of 8.5 and upgrade it with the
English version of 8.6? Perhaps you can choose English as the language at
install time for 8.5? I don't remember how far back Apple offered multi-lingual
systems, but I'm reasonably certain that European systems would include English.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are." B. Banzai, PhD

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.