On Wednesday, 8 April 2015 14:28:21 UTC-4, ValterV wrote:

> Il giorno 08/04/15 16.33, "Mark My Word" ha scritto:
>
> >  My understanding is that to enable
> > this machine to run Safari, Mozilla, or a newer IE, it would need to
> move
> > up to a version of OS10, rather than the OS9.1 that is installed.
> Yes and no.
>
> In Mac OS (I mean 9 or previous), you can still use an updated browser,
> Classila:
> http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/
>
> It's not totally equivalent to modern browsers, but it could still be good
> enough for your friend.
>
> > could this machine be updated with a version of OS10?
> To answer precisely, we'd need to know the processor speed and installed
> Ram
> quantity.
> In theory she could install OS X, but - depending on CPU and Ram - the
> performances could be not acceptable.
> (on old Macs, OS9 can run circles around OS X as a matter of speed)
>
> Besides, most modern browsers would not likely be compatible with the old
> OS
> X version that iMac can run.
> From the same source as Classilla, the TenFourFox browser would likely
> can:
> http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
>
> Lastly, IMHO 10.3 was the first really useful OSX version.
> 10.4 was even better (and usually the last version you want to run on an
> old
> Mac), and I didn't bother with 10.5 (slower and not much better than
> 10.4).
>
> When I bring up the window "About This Computer" the following information
> is provided

Mac OS 9.1   Mac OS ROM 7.5.1
Built in Memory 128 MB
Virtual Memory 129 MB
Apple Computer 1983-2001

So it appears to have 128 meg of system RAM.  I think the CPU is either 500
or 600 MHz from the Apple information that I can find online.

Thank you for the useful information, and the web browsing possibilities.
We may get an acceptable result for the lady.

Cheers,
Mark

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.