I’m actually pretty lucky as far as longevity goes. My old mid-2007 iMac
will still run the latest OS, making it among the oldest devices to do so.
Even so, it has a few problems.

Chief among them is what I think is a bad heat pipe on the GPU - it rapidly
overheats if I play any 3d games. I had already blown out the dust, and it
still overheated. I contacted a local Mac shop and they said the repair was
impossible - the logic board would have to be replaced. I rather doubt
this, but don’t have any way to confirm it. Has anyone out there replaced
their heat pipe in their iMac? I’ve replaced the hard drive in my iMac, but
it was pretty hairy. Can an end-user replace the GPU heatpipe? In the
meantime, I’ve got some fan control software helping keep the Mac cool, but
it’s putting a lot of wear and tear on the CPU fan.

My second question relates to Boot Camp and Windows. The logical version to
install would be Windows 7, but only 32-bit OS’s are supported on this
iMac. Where on earth would I find a 32-bit version of Windows 7?

My third question relates to the screen. It’s gotten these subtle
horizontal yellow streaks on the screen that from what I’ve read are from
the CCFL backlights. Is there any way to get rid of them without replacing
the screen?

Thanks,

Eric

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.