You need to look at LowEndMac.com

You can run OS10.4 Tiger WITH something called ExPostFacto

Free from OWC.

You HAVE to swap out the CD-ROM drive for a DVD-RW burner.

Using the Expansion Bay sled from that drive.

As per instructions found at LowEndMac.

The article is by an Englishman whose name I forget.

Write Dan Knight, there, about this if al else fails.

Any mid 2000s tray loading thin laptop burner will work...

$5 to $10 on eBay... shipping would be more than that..

I've done all that, and MORE to my 1999 PB G3/333 Lombard.

Also added a 400Mhz. logic board to get the DVD decoder.

Which only works with OS9.2.2..

One ends up with 512MB RAM and A 1MB L2 Cache

Plays DVD movies just fine..... even ripped ones

Under 10.4 Tiger ones uses VLC for PPC to play DVDs

with a slight hiccup over 10 or 15 seconds

Not so bad..

You need to search YouTube for people who have done all these things

to their Lombards....

I could not give you all the instruction you need....

Good luck!

J.C.

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Kostsei Kuolematon <
kostsei.kuolema...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've bought an old iMac G3 (333MHz, 128MB RAM), no firewire, no DVD, no CD
> burning. Since it doesn't support Airport, I've found and bought an old USB
> WiFi adapter, but still it only has drivers for OS X 10.3 while I have 10.1
> at the moment. I've replaced hard drive for 120GB one and was able to
> reinstall the original OS 8.5, then 9.2.2 and finally OS X 10.1. I've
> checked the firmware update and it's up to date, the hard drive is also
> fine. Actually everything works until it comes to 10.3 install.
>
> I wanted to buy the original retail OS X Panther, but couldn't find it in
> Moscow (Russia). I've searched on Ebay and Amazon but the prices (including
> shipping to my destination) were unacceptable — I can't afford to pay $200+
> for a hopelessly outdated OS... So I had no option rather then
> downloading OS from the internet. I've downloaded several versions, burned
> install discs on my MacBook Pro under OS X 10.11 with Toast Titanium. But
> most of the CDs didn't boot and iMac doesn't even read them. The one set (3
> install CDs) seemed fine, it boots and verifies the CD (okay), than
> installation begins, but it always gets stuck at 76%, computer gets
> unresponsive. And if I try the install once again right after it failed,
> the disc doesn't boot and gets stuck at white screen or white screen with
> logo. After some time switched off it works again. Some discs are read on
> MacBook, but won't read on iMac. And also when I tried to verify the
> install CD with Disk Utility it reported "Error: No valid packages
> (-9997)". I can't understand whether my install CD is bad (but how the
> install verifies it normally than?), or iMac optical drive? Or both? I've
> tried to find out what this error on CD could mean, but couldn't find
> anything.
>
> I've been struggling with this iMac for almost 3 weeks and have spent more
> money, than the computer itself did cost. This is especially hard because I
> live in Russia and it's barely possible to find the spare parts for the old
> Apple computers and shipping from abroad became too expansive, while I've
> bought this computer only because it's fun and interesting thing for me,
> but I'm not going to work on it, cause I have the modern MacBook, so I
> didn't plan to spend really lot of money for simply having this toy-like
> computer working.
>
> Any help is much appreciated!

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.