Yes, Apple would be glad to sell you another but I'm sure a large proportion of
the locked iPhones are NOT stolen and Apple making them completely inoperable
is quite wasteful and closes the market to people who could repair them and put
them to use when they might not be able to buy a new one.

I know I have an iPhone 4s with a bad wifi chip and currently off of cell
service. I would like to reset it and at least sell it for someone else to use
but I can't unless I find a cooperative Verizon tech to turn off my current
phone, turn on the 4s for a minute to reset it, then turn my current phone back
on. A ridiculously complicated process that last time I went through (with
another 4s) took HOURS on the phone.

Of course I could just replace the wifi chip...

Russell Courtenay

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 4:32 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 16, 2016, at 2:50 PM, Russell Courtenay <unknownid...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> There should be something that could be done, it seems there are THOUSANDS
>> of locked iPhones out there...
>>
>> Russell Courtenay
>
> The problem is that anything that “could be done”  will essentially allow
> people to take over stolen iPhones as well. It’s a hard call.
>
> Of course from Apple’s POV it’s not hard at all; they’ll cheerfully sell you
> a new one! ;-)
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.