Wow cool! Great stuff!

I guess I really like the old days of computing where efficiency and every Hz
mattered, I frankly don’t understand why the 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of
RAM in my iMac is sooooo slow sometimes on a modern OS when as I recall on my
BLAZING 50 MHz Amiga I had NO such slowdowns.

I know, I know, applications like modern internet browsers require massive
processing power to play the multi-media content we so enjoy and all this power
is relatively cheap, but can’t we just scale it back 'a little’ to make it work
well on an eight year old machine like mine?

I know it IS possible with SLIGHTLY different priorities as to where this power
is used in an operating system to make things work better but that doesn’t
encourage the purchase of new systems which makes world economies work!

The open Unix OS variants are, I suppose, the best example of this, but I
REALLY like the Mac OS environment and hardware, it seems to be the modern
vision of what Amiga would be.

I will cut this off in a minute before it turns into a multi-page rant about
system design and needs but I will say it seems we are truly living in a ‘post
PC’ world:

Most people don’t really NEED a computer for the daily activities of life, our
iPads and iPhones do what we need (they now have ALMOST as much processing
power as this old iMac!) It seems when they hit ‘the GHz ceiling' of about 4
GHz eight years or so years ago, they couldn’t go much faster so now just ‘add
cores’ and increase efficiency, they are now up to 1000 cores that runs off of
a AA battery! Max 1.78 trillion operations per second!!! But people in general
DO NOT NEED such speed when a five year old, quad core, sub 4.0 GHz computer
does everything we need at reasonable speed, why upgrade?!? Of course, I WANT a
1000 core computer, if just to see what I could come up with to use all that
power for!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/1000-core-laptop-aa-battery-energy-efficient-uc-davis/

Anyway, thanks for the links, lots to ponder there...

Russell Courtenay

Sent from my old iMac

> On Aug 6, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Josh Juran <jju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Aug 6, 2016, at 11:25 PM, Russell Courtenay <unknownid...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I still would like to work on an ‘open source’ version of the OS X interface
>> to work over Darwin, I dunno,
>
> I would encourage you to support more than just Darwin.  The vast majority of
> Darwin installations are OS X itself. :-)
>
>> just because. From the days of the Commodore PET I always wanted to be
>> involved in writing my own OS…
>
> I’m writing a free software implementation of Mac OS, but starting from the
> beginning.  It currently requires a 68K emulator, which makes sense since the
> primary goal is running classic 68K Mac apps.  The emulator itself is
> portable, and the Mac runtime mirrors the screen buffer to a native file and
> reads events from a file descriptor, so it can interoperate with any POSIX
> system if those protocols are implemented.  I have display and event capture
> working in Mac OS (classic and Mach-O), as well as display on the Linux
> framebuffer.  (Earlier this year I gave a demo running it on a Raspberry Pi.)
>
> http://www.v68k.org/macos/
>
> As you can see, DragWindow() works. :-)
>
> If you want to write an OS *from scratch*, consider joining #osdev on
> Freenode.
>
> Josh

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.