One other piece of info--
I can get a startup chime when I use two 1GB RAM cards. The screen will
stay black, but I can connect through Teamviewer.
This is the same when I use either (but not both) of my 2GB RAM cards (so I
assume that both of them are good) . Using both of the 2GB RAM cards, I do
not get a startup chime, screen stays black, and I cannot connect remotely.

I do not have the adapter to connect a second monitor to the 08 imac, but I
will get one. Once I get one, do you think it would do any good to do a
clean install of Yosemite?
Thanks,
Joe

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 8:27:21 PM UTC-6, fishj...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> My mom's 2008 iMac with Yosemite and 4 GB RAM will no longer start. (Sorry
> that I don't more specs, but it won't start)
> When I push the power button, all I hear is a clicking sound near the
> optical drive. No startup chime.
>
> What I have tried:
> If I unplug the machine, and remove the two 2GB RAM cards and then try to
> start, I get the "no RAM present" tone.
> If I then unplug it,  put one of the RAM cards in, and then push the power
> button, I hear the startup chime, but the screen is dark.
>
> I have tried booting from a flash drive with Yosemite, and booting from
> the AHT disk, but to no avail.
>
> The same thing happened last week, and I kept swapping RAM cards out with
> some old 1 GB RAM cards from a previous machine. Somehow, it eventually
> started and the screen came on.
> I was able to run the Apple Hardware Test, which gave this error:
> 4MOT/2/40000004:HDD -1392, and a subsequent running of the AHT gave the
> same error, with -1384 at the end.
>
> After searching the internet, some folks said that the error was a HD fan
> error. Some suggesting vacuuming as much dust out as possible, which I did.
> Then I ran the AHT again, and it found no errors.
> I also ran Disk Utility, which found and corrected permissions errors. It
> did not indicate other problems.
>
> The machine worked fine for about a week, but today when I tried to wake
> it, I got a black and white checked screen. I had to force it to shut down,
> and now it will not start again. I get the same clicking sound near the
> optical drive. However, if I pull out one of the RAM cards, I can get a
> startup chime, but I still have a black screen.
>
> Any thoughts on this issue, or how to troubleshoot it?
> Thanks!
> Joe

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.