It could be the IDE controller is wonky.  I had that happen in an iBook.  Do
you have a Firewire or USB drive you can boot from.

Clark Martin
A designated driver on the information Super Highway

> On Apr 9, 2018, at 4:38 AM, 'Juergen Grieb' via iMac Group
> <imaclist@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I have an iMac (Flat Panel) from 2002 (aka The Lamp). Bought it some years
> ago and replaced the hard disk with an SSD. It was working fine the last time
> I used it. But I haven't been using it from quite some time. Last boot up was
> 2-3 years ago.
>
> When I try to boot it now, it just won't. I get a gray screen.
>
> Pressing option gets me to the boot manager. There are no drives shown there.
> Inserting a macOS installer disc changes nothing.
>
> Reset PRAM, no luck. Can boot into open firmware. But booting from there
> results also in the gray screen.
>
> Then I thought it might be the drives or their connection. I removed them
> from the iMac and connected then (with the iMac cable) to another computer
> and they work fine there.
>
> Anyone any idea why the iMac stopped recognizing any drive? Are there parts
> in the the iMac that can go bad (no battery leakage) over the years and need
> replacing?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.