>My M570 wireless trackball began making a single click behave like a
>double-click a while ago. It¹s very maddening.

I had this happening to several mice, when they become old.

I think it's the microswitch becoming faulty/unreliable, hence when you
press the button it clicks, then it "loses" the pressure and re-engage it
an istant later, so it looks like a double click.

If that's the case, the only solution would be changing the microswitch.
If you're handy with electronics it could be doable, but not easy.
Another option would be swapping the board holding the microswitch from
another unit.

>The Logitech site only seems to talk about this in the Windows world.

Since the problem seems hardware-related, any solution should work
regardless of operating system.

Come to think of it, you could change Mouse options in System preferences:
setting "Double click speed" to a slow setting, it could possibly avoid
sensing the "click-lose-click" as a double click. Try the slowest setting
first.

HTH
Valter