Hi Bill. On the App store there are many duplicate finders, some free. I
have not found one that is better or worse than the others.

That being said, I use Chronosync for a few different reasons.
One- I can make a Master folder if my assorted files. Music, photos,
paintings, word docs, etc.
It allows me to do a merge, so I can specify which (latest) files to keep.
This helps me when I have a jpg, tif and psd. I used a duo finder app and
it would up messing up a couple different folders, deleting the oldest of
each file among a few different folders (my bad for not paying closer
attention). I still have one each of the three or more different files, but
in and on an assortment of different folders and drives.
I can schedule a sync or backup.
It does a but more,  sync folders and drives. Make a clone of a drive, and
so on.
But just for a simple duplicate skim down, a free one should work.
Not too sure on this part, but doesn't the new photo app open and sort
older iphoto libraries? I am pretty sure I did an update in my wife's
iPhoto libraries when I moved her photos from her MBP to her iMac and newer
MBP.
Good Luck.

Mark