On Jan 17, 2021, at 8:39 AM, Bill Spencer
<wspen...@jhu.edu<mailto:wspen...@jhu.edu>> wrote:

Thank you both for this information. Unfortunately I am not in a position to
buy another external HD so I will have to manage with what I have. In reading
through your comments, I realized that there's no need for the iTunes backup to
be in a separate partition (at least, I think this is so); I have no idea why I
set things up that way originally. (I continue to refer to "iTunes" even though
it's not called that anymore...one cannot usually teach old dogs new tricks.)
Here's what I think I'll do, subject to your better advice:

  1.  Reformat the backup drive to APFS without a partition
  2.  Set up Time Machine to back up the main HD to the newly-formatted
external HD
  3.  Copy the contents of the current iTunes drive to the newly-formatted
backup drive.
  4.  Reformat the current iTunes drive to the new format
  5.  Copy the backed-up iTunes material back to the newly-reformatted external
iTunes drive
  6.  Set up Time Machine to back up the external iTunes drive to the
newly-formatted external HD

Will this approach work? Or, what do I need to change in that proposal? Again,
my thanks for your input. Bill

To re-aquaint myself with the original problem: you have your iTunes stuff on
an external drive by itself, and a backup drive that was used by CCC to back up
the iTunes volume and internal HD’s as separate volumes? You never actually
specified what was on each external volume.

if it’s like this:
external Disk 1: iTunes
external Disk 2:Partition 1  existing CCC internal backup, partition 2 existing
CCC itunes backup

1) reformat backup drive as a single partition. I do not know if the OS lets
you format hard drives as APFS, but it will be offered as an option if so.
(Remember, drive reformats like this are done at the Physical disk level in
Disk Utility the one named Seagate or WD something something, not the Volume
level)

2) Set this newly formatted volume as your Time Machine volume and point both
the internal HD and external iTunes **folder** to it for backing up.

No need to be copying back and forth like you were planning.

OTOH if the partition drive is your internal backup and your ‘live’ iTunes
volume, I’d reformat the remaining one copy the live iTunes to it and then
reformat the whole new backup drive as a single volume and then point the
internal HD and the iTunes folder on the (now) external iTunes volume to Time
Machine.

Time machine isn’t picky about the drive formatting it’s backing up, just the
formatting of it’s drive.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona