Title: Signature.html
I'm definitely well beyond my student days.

Two months ago I took it upon myself to add new features to a 2000+ line program,  authored by someone else, that use a special video camera and hardware to detect bright meteors, and produce video images, b/w. My prior experience with Python Win was limited to maybe a month of non-GUI work. No Tkinter or PIL. I've gotten a fair dose of Tkinter with dialogs and menus.

A few days ago I began looking at analytic features that I might want to add using the video images/frames.  My first question was what sort of video format is used? The answer seems to be a 640/480 b/w 8-bit pixel. That's it. No headers or anything else. Although the image, date/time, meteor track data are written to files, the files are not anything anyone else uses.

The user can write individual frames in jpg and tiff. I began think of adding bmp; however, I was curious how bmp worked, and whether I had control over the bit depth. I understand the jpb and tiff have no headers--I think. As I understand, it bmp has several types of blocks before the image, dib, header, palette, I think.  If I'm going to have to provide them, I have yet to figure that out. At this point, I'm mostly curious about them.

As I begin to play with PIL features, I will need a better understanding of how I can manipulate our raw images described above. For starters, I'd likely want to put a transparent image with compass points around a circle over the frames examined by the software, as the user plays the video back through the software. By the time I'm done I'll probably use many of the IP features of PIL. I'm quite familiar with IP principles, but not PIL.

I'd much rather read a document than a Python program file such as BmpImagePlugin to get my answer. The 1.1.3 PIL handbook, your tkinter guide, and effbot material  is about all I've got.

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Wayne Watson