Hey Guys,

I've got it!  Mucho thanks for the very cool numpy example from Chris and of course to everyone else for the assistance.  I can now add this code to a program that upsamples these images so they look better when plotted on a GIS map.  I realize that I'm technically destroying data by blasting pixels from the image, but sometimes it's better to have a pretty presentation!

You can try this code by grabbing a radar image from the source server:

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/RadarImg/N0Z/

from PIL import Image
import numpy as np

#Open the raw radar image
raw_image = Image.open("ABR_N0Z_0.gif")

# make an array out of the image:
a = np.asarray(raw_image).copy()

# The noise colors are index 0,7,8 in the palette
# I used IrfanView to determine this
noise_colors = [0,7,8]

# white is index 15
white = 15