Re:     Freetype2-dev_2.1.3-22_darwin-i386
        Imaging 1.1.5
        Python 2.6.2
        Mac OS X 10.4.11
        Mac Mini Intel Core Duo

The build instructions for Imaging 1.1.5 dealing with Freetype2 support are unclear. I have attempted to follow the instructions in README and setup.py, but some requirements seem glossed over, and my attempts to guess at interpretations have failed.

In particular:

Instruction #3. The Python installation is a fresh framework build, but no filenames including "python-devel" are found. What does "probably" mean? What does "or similar" mean?

Instruction #4: I do not seem to have a Python extensions directory. What would be a "suitable directory"?

Instruction #5: What does "in-place" mean? How can I tell if Freetype is properly installed?

setup.py documentation: what would be "well-known library location" for Freetype2? What would a directory that is an appropriate value for FREETYPE_ROOT contain?

Any clarification is welcome.

Thanks,

David Goering