I just found an article that Fredrik wrote based on a discussion we had on
memory limits back in 1999.  Using the .tile attribute and doing your work in
chunks is one sure-fire way of getting there, although it'll take some effort.
I hope this helps!

http://effbot.org/zone/pil-large-images.htm

Kevin.