Hi Katie -

It sounds like you are looking for a server monitor, correct?  I use a
utility installed that checks the servers, and sends me a page if it cannot
connect.  I use the IPCheck Server Monitor from Paessler
(http://www.paessler.com/ipcheck).  They have a free version (limited
features, but does enough for me) in which you install on another machine,
then you can set up different tests to see if it is online.  For instance, I
have mine set up to test for a POP3 connection (rather than sending a
message through the server).  If it connects, super.

If not, then I get a text message telling me there is a good chance that my
Saturday night is not what I had planned it to be.  L

Perhaps others have suggestions as well.

Todd