From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [IMail Forum] re: Subject line length - debug

> > Here's what's happening - we are storing a message with a long
> > subject line as indicated below.
>
> First, I'm sure you know it, but you are trying to push the functionality
of the subject line to its limits.

> > YET when we retrieve it there appears to be some funny breaks that
> > have been inserted by iMAIL into the subject line.  Not sure why but
> > I need this fixed.  Then all would work.  Each break appears to be
> > at about the 150 character mark.
>
> These "funny breaks" are likely "folding".  I'm not sure *why* IMail would
do that, as I can't see a reason that IMail should.  But, RFC 822 allows for
something called "folding".  If a header is long, you are allowed to
continue it onto the next line, by having the next line start with a space
or tab.

> I would recommend accepting the funny breaks, as it is quite likely that
software besides IMail will do this, so if you change E-mail clients,
servers, whatever, these funny breaks might come back.

> >From a server point of view, if you wanted to accept E-mail from anyone
(not just E-mail that you had sent from a client you are willing to work
with solely), you would have to be able to handle the folding issue.  It's a
royal pain, and dealing with headers would be a LOT easier without it, but
remember those RFCs were written almost 20 years ago!  A 500 byte header
would take up a significant portion of the memory of PCs from those days.