>I of course fixed that problem, and now I needed to find out where these
>databases exist (the support guy couldn't help me here).  After some
>searching I found a site (http://mail-abuse.org/referred.html) that spells
>out exactly what I needed to do to verify that our domain was in the
>database(s) (it was) and how to request it be removed (I did).

That's for the RBL test.  There are over 40 different anti-spam
databases.  http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=209.12.34.178 shows
that you are in several of them; you need to be removed from each one
separately.

>This is extremely frustrating and embarrasing because I'm (usually) on top
>of things like this, but this fell through the cracks obviously.  Now I
>have to wait for our client to update their database (could take 24-48
>hours I'm told) so we can send mail again.  Live and learn.

The URL above will show you how long the entries are cached for (in the
"TTL" column).

>After all that, I *do* have a question.  How can I tell by looking at my
>log file that my server was indeed used for relay spamming?  The only
>other thing we can think of is that we sent unsolicited email to our
>current and former clients asking if they'd like to subscribe to our
>company newsletter.

It's *possible* that that could have done it, but it's unlikely.

SPAMCOP (at http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=209.12.34.178
)shows that you were sending mail like "Invest like the banks" and "The
information and details are inside".  They also show the date/time the
E-mails were sent, so you can easily cross-reference your log files.  The
other spam tests have other URLs you can check.

                                                    -Scott
---
Declude: Anti-virus, Anti-spam and Anti-hijacking solutions for
IMail.  http://www.declude.com

---