>I am in the magazine publishing industry, and some of our advertisers &
>authors send us self-extracting compressed files. I hope our host doesn't
>decide to block .exe files.

The power of money:  If they do, tell them you don't think it's right, and
if they don't let you send .exe's, then switch to another provider.

>I am not an imail owner, but rather a domain administrator at an imail
>host. I have been watching the virus-catching threads with interest. It
>bothers me that hosts would block particular files as attachments. This
>should be on the end user's head, it is not the host's responsibility or
>right to block any of my incoming files. I might need and want them.

That depends on who runs the mail server.  A business that has a mail
server for their employees to send/receive mail with should (in my opinion
at least) have the right to block all .SCR and .PIF files, if they feel
that it will be safer not to accept them.

For an ISP, however, it's a very different story.

>One could also argue that they have no right to block spam. After all, how
>are my employees going to find out how to visit web sites involving doing
>strange things with animals? (In spite of the serious nature of my initial
>thoughts, I am not without a sense of humor.)

<G>  There are always a few people who would prefer to receive spam and not
have their mail scanned at all (although I haven't heard of anyone who
didn't want their mail scanned for viruses).

                                                    -Scott
---
Declude: Anti-virus, Anti-spam and Anti-hijacking solutions for
IMail.  http://www.declude.com

---