I had a very serious problem.

After several successful test installations on production servers, we
performed a final "clean" installation in our lab.  For security
reasons, the lab is on a private, non-routable subnet, with DHCP
providing temporary IPs, etc.  Installation went as expected, through
Windows 2000, IMail, Declude JunkMail & Virus, and KillerWebMail.

Then, we moved the new IMail server into production.  The temporary
DHCP-supplied addresses were replaced by static addresses.  IMail's SMTP
service was updated to use the new DNS servers.

The server immediately had "issues."  The first symptom we detected was
that Declude JunkMail was failing to resolve any of its DNS-based tests
(ip4r, etc.).  When told that Declude obtains its DNS server information
directly from IMail, I began looking for references to the temporary
DHCP-supplied IP address or DNS servers.  The only reference I found was
in the registry.  IMail had a virtual server with the old address.  I
deleted the entry (doh!) and things REALLY went to hell.  Even after
restoring the entry, it was too late.  Mail was failing all over the
place.

Still in the production environment, I removed and re-installed IMail,
Declude and KillerWebMail.  The problems disappeared.  I must conclude
that IMail does indeed have problems when changing the server's IP
address.  That was the ONLY step different in this particular
installation from the others.  Mine was an absolute clean installation
and the problem should be easily replicatable.

Combine this issue with IMail's hoggish consumption of every IP address
on a multi-homed server.  This is not very elegant.  Had I been able to
tell IMail which IPs to use, I might have had success in kicking out the
temporary DHCP address.  But, alas, no.

I would be very interested to know the root of this problem and any
workarounds that might have saved me (from botching my own registry).
Heaven forbid, we might move the server again.

Dave

--

David M. Delbridge
President & CEO