I too would like to know more on this possibility [of spammers "spoofing" Ip addresses and relaying through our server]

We had a similar problem, with some spammer relaying through our sever, despite the 'Relay for IP' setting. We had to switch to the 'No Relay' setting for some time. We assumed the relay was happening due to some 'formmail' exploit. The possibilty of "spoofing" sounds scary. Is there something like that, and if yes, how does one prevent oneself from it?

At 12:17 AM 8/26/03 -0400, you wrote:
> Last  thing  we have saw in our server -we manage Relay for Addreses
> plus  SMTP  authentication- is that spammers are now spoofing the IP
> addresses. They somehow manage to know what addresses are connecting
> to our server and then start to spoof the address to make the server
> believe that it is from an address that can relay.

I  have  to  ask  you  what  hard  evidence you have that spammers are
connecting  from  a  spoofed  (rather than owned) IP address. Remember
that NAT is a mighty tool of the the hacker-spammer.

-Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.