>> My question is, if this server knows the MX records of hotmail, why is Imail
>> trying to send the message to 64.4.33.7??At 11:48 AM 9/19/2003, Jason W. Allen wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Only it's not only with Hotmail.

Here's the deal.

A mailserver *should* use the A record for a domain, but *only* if the MX record doesn't exist. Since Hotmail and almost all other domains have MX records, the A record should never be used with Hotmail, and rarely ever be used with other domains.

However, there was a bug in many versions of IMail (pre-8.0, AFAIK), where it would use the A record if the MX record existed but it could not contact any (some?) of the hosts in the MX record. This behavior is incorrect, and was fixed somewhere around v8, and affects versions as early as v6 and quite possibly older versions as well.

-Scott
---
Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.

---