On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, David Severance wrote:
I went ahead, applied the patch and followed your guidance regarding EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=gss and built a binary using "make lrh
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
EXTRAAUTHENICATORS=gss". The problem is that I see no evidence of a kerberos
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
auth capability when I query the imap daemon.

Did you spell it correctly in the build?

Take a look at imap-2006a/c-client/linkage.c. Do you see a line which reads:
  auth_link (&auth_gss);                /* link in the gss authenticator */

If you don't, then you didn't build it correctly.

Even if you build it correctly, GSSAPI will be disabled (and AUTH=GSSAPI will not show up in the CAPABILITY list) if you don't have Kerberos service configured on the server system:

Do you have /etc/krb5.conf and /etc/krb5.keytab files properly set up on imap.uci.edu?

Have you defined keytab entries on the KDC for the "imap/imap.uci.edu" principal? IMAP uses the "imap" principal, not the "host" principal.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc