On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Per Foreby wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Mark Crispin wrote:

Tried the above with imap-2006e.DEV.SNAP-0701181849, using the following
/etc/c-client.cf:
I accept the risk
set black-box-directory /mail/folders
set new-folder-format mbx
set restrict-mailbox-access root otherusers

That combination of black-box-directory and restrict-mailbox-access makes no sense. You can not simultaneously be a blackbox and a restrictbox. As matters stand, the blackbox setting completely overrides the restrictbox settings.

Without the last line, thunderbird works for a few minutes, and then presents all our 6,500 mailboxes for subscription (which of course doesn't work due to file protection, but the delay is very annoying). With restrict-mailbox-access this doesn't happen, so the must be something that blackbox mode doesn't override.

But to be honest, I haven't tested this behaviour since imap-2004e, so maybe this is fixed in more recent versions.

I just tested this with 2006e, and the behavour is the same.

Could it be that the server returns a list of all files, including "..",
which thunderbird tries to follow?

To sum things up, .mailboxlist seems well protected, but why is it offered for subscription in the first platce?

I'm a novice when it comes to the imap protocol, so I assumed that .mailboxlist was offered for subscription by the imap server. But if the subscritions are handled just like you would retreive any other mailbox, it is of course impossible to protect it. In that case the name .mailboxlist must be reserved in the imap protocol, and should be hidden from the use by the by the client.

If the user didn't subscribe to that name, and the client just subscribed to it automatically without being told to do so...well, I don't have anything good to say about a client that behaves that way. 'nuff said.

I subscribed manually, so we can't blame thunderbird other than for making the file available for subscription. I trid the same thing in other imap client, and .mailboxlist did not appear.

Correction: The other clients were tested on 2004e, with 2006e .mailboxlist (and other dot-files) are listed as available for subscription in both outlook express and squirrelmal.

I have also done my homework, browsing RFC:s and source code, and found
HideDotFiles, and the corresponding option, so now my c-client.cf includes:

  set hide-dot-files 1

which solved our problem.

This option has been around at least since 2004e but is undocumented in docs/imaprc.txt. Does this mean that is is experimental and may be removed? In that case I will switch to settin HideDotFiles=T in env_unix.c, but in general i find the configuration file approach more flexible.

/Per