On 29. jan. 2007, at 18.35, Michael Cashwell wrote:

On Jan 29, 2007, at 8:46 AM, tsuraan wrote:

... [no client programs] have very good control over when emails are removed from the IMAP server. Our requirements (imposed by corporate legal...) are that the archiving machine not delete messages from the email server until _after_ they have been archived to tape, and that emails stay on the archiving machine's hard drives for a certain amount of time for quick retrieval. The volume of email is large enough that scheduled batch fetching is not feasible; fetching must be continuous, but tape archiving can't be. So, we need to be able to signal to the email client that it needs to delete a specific set of emails that it has fetched once the archiving is done.

[ snip ]

Even then, I'm left wondering how involving the email client adds value. Wouldn't the cleanest implementation of such an archiving system be at the SMTP boundary?

Consider an email server where all accepted inbound email (undelivered messages like unknown recipients and spam need not be archived) and all outbound email were additionally copied to a regularly archived mail spool. Wouldn't that provide a complete record of all email traffic?

Since such archiving would be completely independent of email retrieval I don't see why IMAP or POP need be involved at all. The email would be archived long before it is even available via IMAP.

Comments?

I would agree that feeding the archive from the mx and outgoing SMTP servers would be the most practical sollution.

Add one way gpg encryption to the chain (keep the secret key on a CD in a safe), and you have protection against disloyal employees or hackers gaining instant access to all your correnspondence should they have / gain access to the server the archive lives on.

--
Frode Nordahl