Hi,

--On 13. Februar 2007 02:50:02 -0500 "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Okay, so back in the day, system mailboxes all lived in
/var/mail/whomever.  Locking these things was an issue, /var was real
small on my BSD system, and on top of everything it meant having to
maintain two sets of quotas.

So then, I modified my delivery agent (procmail in this case) to deliver
to ~/.mail.

This worked well for all things, quotas were respected and it was a
standard unix-format mailbox, which pine, elm, and even mail(1)
understood as long as your environment and your pine.conf was set right.

Now, as I become more familiar with IMAP and whatnot, I'm beginning to be
of the realization that apparently your mail spool is only supposed to be
a "take things out on first sight" type of thing, which should be done
automatically by imapd if you have a special file called INBOX.

that's true if you use UW-imapd.

(http://www.faisal.com/docs/mbx.html)

This breaks any familiarity I would have with things like using procmail
to deliver to ten different folders (since after all, what would be the
difference, they're *all* inbound folders that will be delivered to).

But the URL you quote gives you an example about how to do that:

"Delivering Mail

If you do not use mail filters, you don't need to worry about this section.

If you use a mail filter, you have the problem that the mail agent will attempt to deliver the mail by appending it to the end of the target folder. This will not work with mbx. Instead you will need to use the dmail command, as with the following .procmailrc example:

   :0
   * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   |/usr/bin/dmail +mail/foo

The dmail command understands normal unix mailboxes as well as mbx files, so it's probably wise to migrate all your procmail recipies to using dmail before converting to mbx format files."

I've been a pine whore for years, but it's been my understanding that
pine should also work that way in theory -- but for me it's not.  When I
move things out of my .mail folder, they're "off the radar".

That depends on the way you compiled and set up pine. If you compile it from pristine source it *will* behave that way.

 Given, this
is my personal flow of work, but since pine only showed one folder at a
time, I wanted to be able to work within a reasonable timeframe (say,
three months) all without having to wait for pine to chunka-chunka-chunka
another folder open.

If it's that slow, something isn't right. With mbx or mix it would be much faster.

So, based on the above, is what I've been doing all these years "Wrong"
by the usual standards?

Is there a best-practices concept?

The URL you quote has most of them.

--