On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Wilson, Dave wrote:
Does UW support IMAP domains?  Can I group users within domains?

What do you mean by "IMAP domains"? There is no such thing in the IMAP specification (I should know; I wrote it).

If, by domains, you refer to a feature of some servers to log in with a user name with an "@" in the name, this is a private feature of those servers. It is NOT a standard facility in IMAP.

IMAP has an authentication identity and an authorization identity. Those strings can contain any non-null 7-bit character, although generally this is restricted to the printable ASCII characters (0x40 - 0x7e). There is a movement afoot to expand this to any Unicode character.

UW imapd maps the IMAP authorization identity to a UNIX user name. The authentication identity is similarly mapped, and it must be the same as the authorization identity or be a user name that is in the "mailadm" group. The password associated with the authentication identity is used to validate login; and upon validation the session is setuid'd to the authorization identity. The UNIX permissions session is used for subsequent access control.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc