Hello,

I am looking for the easiest and most robust way to remove all user defined keywords from a folder (which could be MIX or MBX). I.e. the situation is that new keywords need to be used, but 30 old unwanted keywords have clogged up the folder. Now that Thunderbird / Seamonkey support unlimited tags (keywords), this is happening more often. Additionally, our WebMail suite is being updated to support the same flexibility in keyword assignment. This is great, but the side effect is the problem users have with needing to clean out keywords.

The quick and dirty thing to do is something like:

* mailutil copy old_folder temp_folder
* Delete old_folder
* Move temp_folder to old_folder

This works fine if you accept the possible loss of email and broken imap connections during the transfer. It doesn't work with MIX if old_folder has subfolders. In that case, the "move" part would have to delete and replace the ".mix" files individually.... and that is even more dangerous in terms of possible collisions.

We'll probably do something like the above as a temporary measure until a better solution presents itself.

In MIX, it is easy to update the .mixmeta file to remove all keyword definitions ... but then you also need to update the .mixindex file so that all the messages have no keyword bits set ... or else they will inherit keywords as new ones get added (right?) I would imagine a simple non-c-client tool to remove the keyword list and clear the keyword bits from all messages would not be a hard thing to do for mix. Would Mark have any interest in writing such a tool (so all the locking is done right)?

Are there any other good ideas?

Thank you,

-Erik Kangas
LuxSci.com