Hi Nancy -

I think that you have guessed correctly. Unlike mbx, mix consists of multiple files and doesn't use random access I/O. So, if a hard quota bites when rewriting the status file, the result can be that the update is lost as was the original. Probably, all messages were unread and recent which is basically the same as "no state set".

This happens in mbx and traditional UNIX on some operating systems too. These systems won't let you do a disk write when you are out of quota even if you are just overwriting a disk block that you already have. The result in mbx is a corrupted mbx file.

I don't consider hard disk quotas to be a good means of controlling IMAP usage. The operating systems are too unpredictable and sometimes it just isn't possible to recover from a hard quota exception.

IMHO, a better mechanism is to use soft disk quotas, and then have mechanisms such as suspending new mail delivery to a user who is over soft quota, institute nagging, etc. Then use (much) higher hard quotas to block denial-of-service attacks.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc