After Mark pointed out that one could use imapd running as a non-root user to access a user's mail, I wrote a webmail script to read mail from my cellphone. (We already had the authentication stuff set up as that's how the users change their filtering and forwarding options).

I have a Nokia cellphone which has a little keyboard and actually has POP/IMAP and SMTP built in - but the setup menu says "select how many messages to download" and that's not what I want to happen. I have 9000 messages in my inbox, and just want to see if there's anything I should know about, not download all of the last 10 spams and industry newsletters at 5c/kilobyte or whatever. Hence TinyMail - it is a web-based mail client that paginates output into 20-line chunks, does gzip compression, and generally tries to maintain a small footprint by e.g. truncating subject lines.

http://andrew.triumf.ca/tinymail/

With a bit of effort it could be rewritten to talk to any imap server over sockets as does SquirrelMail, but as I say, I had the local auth stuff already.

Definitely beta - there's things that I know break, like complicated multipart messages, things that probably break, like UTF or Asian language mail, and things that would probably be a good idea but I haven't added, like LDAP lookup and addressbooks for composing mail. It's not really supposed to be a full-featured client, though, so folder management will probably never get done.

There are some interesting effects; I can save a vCard right into the phone addressbook, and dial phone numbers direct from an email.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)