On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Per Foreby wrote:
A few weeks ago, I switched to a new server which is running imap-2006k.DEV.SNAP-0709051605. Since then no one has reported anything, but as you can see from the numbers above, I didn't exactly get daily reports before the upgrade either.

That version (the September 5 development snapshot) fixes all known deadlock issues in the imap-2006 series.

Since you haven't been keeping track: these problems were the results of timing races, introduced when UIDPLUS support (which required substantial changes to how mailbox updates were done) was added in mid-2005. Since these were timing races, they didn't show up in testing. It wasn't until nearly a year later, when people started running the imap-2006 series in production and beating it up with skanky clients like Outlook and Thunderbird.

The last problem, fixed on September 5, was not actually a deadlock but was rather a data-triggered endless loop caused by an earlier fix to another problem. There are no known deadlocks or loops since that time.

It was a long and arduous process, much longer and more arduous than it should have been. To prevent a situation like this from ever happening again, I am working on establishing a means of more thorough internal testing -- the problems did *not* show up on our test server in over a year of us using the new code for our own mail! -- with users who run skanky clients.

Thank you very much for your understanding and patience.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc